Monday, October 22, 2007

Chicken/Chorizo Casserole

I get RSS feeds from cooking sites, and I recently saw a post about Chicken and chorizo, which interested me, so I decided to make it. The original recipe which came from 80 Breakfasts . Now she didn't follow the original recipe, as she added beans. I'm making it for the family tonight, and they have specific likes, and dislikes, as do I, so here is how I decided to make it, based upon her modifications. Here is my first example of how "cooks" see the world of cooking, I'm making it MY Chicken and Chorizo, by making it a casserole with a Spanish base, and American interpretation.

1 Lb. Chorizo Sausage

1 Lb. Chicken

1 cup whole grain rice

1 can beans

1 1LB pkg. Frozen Organic Corn

2-1/2 cups Low sodium organic chicken broth

2 Tbs EVOO

several threads saffron

3 cloves fresh garlic

1 tsp. Pimenton (sweet smoked paprika)

1 Fresh Lemon


In a large casserole that can be placed on a burner on the stove place the EVOO, and heat on medium, then add the rice and stir to brown. This increases the flavor of the rice, gives it a different texture that feels and tastes nutty. When it is browned, add crushed garlic, and stir, now add the chicken broth. Grill the chicken, I used unbreaded chicken tenders, but you can use whatever fresh or frozen chicken you have. Now do the same for the chorizo. After the pieces have cooled, slice on the diagonal into bite size pieces and set aside. Now add a couple of threads of saffron for color, the pimenton for flavor, the beans with liquid, then the meat, and then the frozen corn. Place the lemon, thin sliced, across the top. Now place in a preheated 350 degree oven for approximately one hour, with a tight fitting cover until rice is tender. Uncover, and cook for an additional 15 minutes to brown.

Enjoy!


No comments: